Who is Michaels Energy?
Michaels Energy is a veteran-owned energy consulting firm that exists to help businesses minimize waste and maximize value. Our energy and engineering gurus are obsessed with optimizing buildings and processes to maximize energy savings and profits, minimize utility grid stress and carbon footprints, and keep this big, beautiful planet in tip-top shape. Our passion is developing long-term client relationships with energy users, utilities, consultants, and partners. This passion combined with our core values of proactive and responsive service, intuitive analysis, collaborative partnerships, and fanatical execution, forms the foundation of our corporate culture.
What is the role?
Michaels Energy is seeking an experienced engineer to provide leadership, mentoring, and technical support for multiple energy efficiency programs in Chicago, IL. This position will also perform custom energy calculations and identify energy efficiency measures. This position will maintain a project load while leading a small team of engineers.
This position will assist with tracking workloads to ensure a balance between staffing resources and company profitability. Technical tasks include conducting building investigations to identify energy-saving measures, calculating energy savings and ROI, installing data logging equipment, and performing custom energy analysis. We are looking for an engineer who is passionate about energy efficiency and helping customers achieve their energy efficiency goals. This role will likely support an innovative new program involving ASHRAE Level II energy audits, indoor air quality assessments, assessing the feasibility of electrifying fossil fuel heating sources, investigation of solar opportunities, and evaluating the potential for electric bus charging for K-12 schools.
- Track staff performance goals and metrics
- Assist Engineering Manager with weekly Level 10 department meeting
- Perform monthly one-on-one meetings with staff
- Create a career development plan for staff
- Coordinate ongoing technical development of engineers
- Monitor staffing levels to hit utilization targets
- Apply all company policies consistently
- Execute training plan for new hires Mentor young engineers in terms of engineering skills, professionalism, and company policies
Data Collection & Analysis
- Develops data collection plans prior to a site visit
- Gathers data while on-site, including visual inspection of equipment and operations, customer/operator interviews, building plans and documents, photos, spot measurements, and data logging
- Identify operational efficiency opportunities
- Performs energy engineering calculations using MS Excel and other software tools
- Develops appropriate engineering calculations/simulations to accurately portray the equipment or system under study
- Documents the project findings including baseline conditions, proposed conditions, and specific details related to the project
- Write reports that can be understood by a technical and non-technical audience using proper grammar, punctuation, and company templates.
- Write technical briefs for distribution to Michaels’ clients
Customer and Client Communication
- Communicates and coordinates with engineering/project manager to ensure timely completion of projects
- Documents all relevant project information and milestones in internal databases
- Communicates with end-users, vendors, and other engineering consultants to gather information required for project completion
- Adheres to project budget and scope
- Completes project to meet customer expectations
- Provides regular updates on project status to customers, clients, and/or project manager
- Provides feedback to appropriate individuals on existing processes, calculation templates, and program offerings to improve them
How do you contribute?
After 3 months, you have
- Learned company processes and procedures
- Completed one-on-one meetings with all assigned staff
- Completed at least one on-site energy audit and report out
After 6 months, you have
- A thorough understanding of the design and guidelines of the programs
- Led meetings with customers to explain energy analysis results
- Completed goal setting and career development with staff
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in mechanical, chemical, or building systems engineering
- Ten years’ experience combining any of the following:
- Energy efficiency industry – e.g., utilities or performance contracting
- HVAC operations, controls, and/or building energy investigations
- Utility program experience in custom rebate calculations, ASHRAE level 2 energy audits, or energy studies
- Building codes/safety standards
- Technical Reference Manuals
- Excels at communicating complicated ideas to a variety of audiences
- Deep interest in energy, systems, and process efficiency, and improving productivity
- Lifetime self-learner
- Ability to travel regionally to up 30% for customer site visits and occasional travel to the corporate office
- Professional Engineer (P.E.)
- Data Analysis
Where can you work?
Must be located in Chicago, IL. You will have the option to work in the office, work from home, or hybrid.
Why work for Michaels Energy?
The top reasons Michaels Energy is an awesome place to work, besides helping the world save energy.
- We Never Stop Learning
- Flexible Work Hours
- Career Development
- Beer Fridays
- Fresh Fruit Daily
- Wellness Rewards
- Fun Company Outings
Michaels Energy Diversity Statement
We strive to build and nurture a culture that is inclusive and welcoming for all employees. We know diversity and inclusion are essential to innovation, a strong work environment, and exceptional results. This fits in well with our culture that celebrates the unique, the different, and the individual. For us, this is who are and what we do, not just words in a policy.