Who are we?
Michaels Energy is a veteran-owned energy efficiency firm with a team of professionals who are hard-wired to optimize systems and eliminate waste. Energy efficiency, resource preservation, and long-term cost-effectiveness are integral to everything we do to preserve this big, beautiful planet that we call home. Our passion is developing long-term client relationships with energy users, utilities, consultants, and partners. Our core values are to provide:
- Responsive and proactive client service
- Collaborative partnerships
- Intuitive analysis
- Fanatical execution
What is the role?
Michaels Energy is seeking a Proposal Manager with experience in proposal preparation and writing along with a passion for energy efficiency. The Proposal Manager oversees all aspects of proposal delivery including setting a winning strategy, creating proposal content, and proposal requirements. This position must coordinate with the talent and resources of multiple departments to ensure a quality proposal is delivered on time. We are looking for someone with strong organizational and communication skills who will thrive in a team environment and will exemplify our core values.
- Proposal Management
- Review requests for proposals to understand the scope of work and proposal requirements.
- Collaborate with the business development team to complete a go/no go analysis for each large proposal.
- Assemble a proposal team to develop a production schedule and delegate tasks.
- Develop win points and overall strategic approaches for each proposal in conjunction with Sales and Marketing and Client Managers.
- Oversee proposal process and ensure proposal team is meeting assigned deadlines.
- Coordinate review of contract terms and conditions.
- Submit intent to bid and questions to the client.
- Assemble all the components of the final proposal to the specification of the client.
- Submit the final proposal to clients via electronic upload and/or hard copy shipments.
- Coordinate response to post-proposal questions from clients.
- Assist with preparations for best and final interviews.
- Complete proposal loss debriefs and uses feedback to improve the proposal process.
- Prepare small, end-user proposals in coordination with the Product Manager.
- Content Development
- Write key components of the proposal such as the executive summary, company qualifications, and staff bios.
- Create graphs and tables to summarize information in the proposal.
- Collaborate with internal Subject Matter Experts to create technical content for each proposal.
- Coordinate with Marketing to develop proposal graphics.
- Edit all documents for readability, consistency, grammar, and styling.
After 3 months, you will have….
- Learned Michaels internal processes and business practices
- Job shadowed and assisted with at least one large proposal
- A thorough understanding of our current services and capabilities
After 6 months, you will have….
- Led at least one large proposal
- Provided content, edited and assembled at least one large proposal
- Prepared several small proposals for end-users
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Writing, Journalism, Marketing, Business or related field
- Five years experience with technical writing and editing
- Must be detailed oriented, organized, and collaborative
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced MS Office (especially Word and Excel)
- Up to 10% for client meetings and travel to company headquarters
- Any of the Michaels Energy office locations: La Crosse WI, Minneapolis, MN, Cedar Rapids, IA, Denver, CO, or remote
Michaels Energy Diversity Statement
We strive to build and nurture a culture that is inclusive and welcoming for all employees. We know diversity and inclusion are essential to innovation, a strong work environment and exceptional results. This fits in well with our culture that celebrates the unique, the different, and the individual. For us, this is who are and what we do, not just words in a policy.